September 11, 2007

Where Were You When...

I can remember it like it was yesterday. I didn't know anything had happened. By an odd coincidence, I didn't have the radio on at all while I was driving to my classes. I didn't pay any attention to the radio on the bus ride into campus - I was too busy finishing up my Literature reading and studying for a Latin verb quiz. I walked to my 9:30 class in silence, by myself. I remember vaguely hearing a girl in my English class mention something about the World Trade Center to another classmate before the professor came in. She asked us if any of us knew anything about what was happening in New York City, something about a plane hitting one of the Towers of the WTC. No one really knew anything, and the impression she gave was that some small plane hit grazed the top of the tower, or something small like that. She just waved her hand, and started in on Charles Brockden Brown's Edgar Huntley like nothing was wrong. After class, I pulled out my Latin notes and started reviewing them as I walked to class and happened to pass through the Trabant Center. It was then that it hit me that something was really wrong, for the entire placed was packed, people crowded around all the TVs. I took a few minutes to check out what was going on, and in one fell swoop learned that both towers had been hit, both had fallen, the Pentagon had been hit and a plane had gone down in a field in Pennsylvania. I didn't want to leave, but had to get to my other class. I passed a girl who was shrieking into the payphone, trying to make sure a loved one was okay. One of my friends who was in RotC was ready to leave that very day to start dishing out paybacks. I got to my Latin class, and our professor carried on like everything was normal, for she had no TV at home and didn't pay any attention to the news. After about 10 minutes of her mindless chatter, a classmate asked in frustration if we could just get the bloody quiz over and done with and get out of there, and then we had to explain to her what had happened. She understood and gave us the quiz and let us leave. I went home, found out from my parents that my uncle had up until earlier that year worked in one of the towers, and spent the rest of the day numb. I was very fortunate not to have lost family that day, or have to suffer through the pain and loss that day brought, and so today I say a prayer for those who are still dealing with this tragedy. My heart goes out to you.

1 comment:

Snoyarc said...

I was sitting on my sofa feeding my 2 month old daughter and letting my 18 month old daughter watch a cartoon when the Emergency Broadcast System alarm went off. I told Alyssa it was fine, probably just a test. No sooner had the words escaped my lips than I watched as the first tower collapsed to the ground. I cried. My soon to be brother-in-law was supposed to be in that building. Then I saw a woman holding her 3 year old baby out the window, I watched as the same woman dropped her baby from the top of the building and held my children even closer all while trying to reach my husband on the phone. Then the second tower fell and news of the plane in PA being turned towards Philadelphia came over the airwaves. I froze. It was heading our way! I finally got through to my husband at work. He said his company okayed payed time off for the entire company, but he felt he should stay and "stand up" to the terrorists by not running... when I called again he had left for the day, he was comforting another woman while his wife and children were home scared and crying. I heard the plane went down in PA, and continued trying to reach my sister to find out about her fiance. We didn't hear from him until late that night, he had a change of plans and didn't go into the city that day. My friend's 18 month old child was in a daycare across from the Pentagon, they wouldn't allow her in the area to get her child. Another friend was working at the Pentagon that day, he saw the plane slice through the building next to him but fortunately suffered no injuries.

I am fortunate to only have horrible memories from that day and that I did not loose anyone, but remember often the image of that baby out the window and a mother's desperation, my children screaming at the sight of a baby being dropped from the top of that tower, the faces of the men who went to help with the aftermath and those who didn't make it, and a mother searching wildly for a child in a chaotic crowd.

For those who lost someone they loved that day, my prayers have been with you and my heart has been breaking for you. I wish there was more I could do, but I know there isn't.

Hugs & Love