September 17, 2007

The Tales that Really Matter

Madeleine L'Engle has passed away.

I read her book, A Wrinkle in Time, many times while I was growing up. I always loved it. And it stayed with me. There are some books that become a part of who you are, no matter how old you get, and so it makes me sad to hear of her passing. Thank you Ms. L'Engle, for your books, your time, and the legacy you left behind.

"We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes." -The Rock That is Higher

"Just because we don't understand doesn't mean that the explanation doesn't exist." -A Wrinkle in Time

"You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you." -A Wrinkle in Time

EDIT: I just heard that Robert Jordan has also passed away. I haven't read any of The Wheel of Time books yet, but I have intentions to read them. The world has lost yet another influential and prolific fantasy writer.

No comments: