February 26, 2008

Take Your Squirrel Into Work Day

I arrived home late last night to see that my father'd left his truck at work. Which automatically clued me in to the fact that he'd need a ride into work the next day. No problem.

I walked in to the house, after scaring away (not intentionally) the two cats that were outside our front door howling like the world was about to end. Commence general discussion of the day, which included guesses as to what in the world could the cats be doing.

My mom casually adds, "Oh, by the way, you're going to have two passengers to work tomorrow."

I raise my eyebrow, or at least attempt to, since I can't do that very well, and manage to look sufficiently confused. I ask, "Well, Daddy, I figured, but...?"

She smiled as she said, "And the Eastern Grey Squirrel we trapped that's outside on the back porch. Didn't you know tomorrow is Annual Take Your Squirrel to Work Day?"

Um, no, I failed to get that memo.

Apparently we've had a squirrel in our attic who has been trying to make his home up there amongst all our boxes and possessions, and my father would have none of it.

At this point, many thoughts of the network of Newark squirrels attempting to take over the world one house at a time came rushing through my head, but to try and explain NUSA would just take too long, and you'd probably all look at me like I was weird or something anyway if I told you, so I'm not even going to try. Or at least, not at this point. That might be some other day's post.

So instead, I laughed hysterically at the prospect of celebrating such a day, then proceeded to visit the back porch in an attempt to try and see him (which proved unsuccessful as he was being quite uncooperative), and then took him for a ride this morning in the trunk of my car.

After we got to work, I tried again to look at him, and was rewarded with a great hiss of fury from the little furball who was running about like mad underneath the sheet that was covering the trap.

So get on out there, find a squirrel and take it with you to work today!

(As an aside, he was captured humanely and as this is typed up is being let go in the wilds that is Brandywine Creek State Park. Meaning, we're trying to make sure he stays as far away as possible from our house.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cass,
Let's hear it for NUSA. I now believe your theory on NUSA. I am now a believer. I use to think you were alittle crazy talking about NUSA. Now I know that NUSA is for real.

Scottmac