February 21, 2008

The Dark Tower Dream

It was cold. Bone-chillingly cold. Absolutely freezing cold. It was night. We had to survive the night.

I was in some sort of circular room. There was no way out of this room that I could see. From what I could tell, there were tapestries on the walls, and a dais at the front end of the room.

There was another man there with me who was alive. I don't remember his face. There were also other people in the room with us. They looked like they could have been automated, if they weren't practically frozen already because of how very cold it was in that room. Their faces had a bloated sort of look, and they were turning slightly blue. All of these other bodies were strewn all around the room on the floor, some of the bodies on top of one another.

The man I was with I understood to be someone I cared for. I believe he was a 'significant other', though if it was a fiancé, or a husband, or just someone I had strong feelings for and who in turn had strong feelings for me, I do not know.

The only way we knew how to survive was to huddle close together under the thinnest of thin blankets. Somehow, our body heat would be enough to sustain us, despite the shabby blanket.

****

I woke up at approximately 1 a.m after having dreamt that, frozen solid, despite sleeping under 9 blankets on my bed. After I went back to sleep, I dreamed the same thing again. I woke up one other time during the night, and when I finally fell back asleep after that, I dreamt it a third time. I was still in the process of dreaming it when my alarm went off this morning.

When I woke up this morning, I was frozen solid. It's now bed time, and I'm still chilled to the bone.

Now, if I buy into the theory of The Dark Tower, then what I dreamt was either a past event or a future event, or else something that belongs to a parallel universe of sorts, a universe in which I have a double, since dreams allow us to look into parallel universes (or at least, this is my understanding of what I read).

I've also had the theory as I contemplated over this dream that it could possibly be another 'unknown' scene from the book, a scene in which a horn-less Scudamour (he having somehow managed to get of the filthy thing) and I (as Camilla) had been found out as we were trying to escape back to Normal Time and were thrown into a room in the Dark Tower to await a fate worse than death, if we could survive.

Obviously, I much prefer this second idea to my dream, instead of one in which I'm forced to sleep in and around frozen dead bodies and freeze to death myself. That, and not to have nightmares over any more C. S. Lewis fiction.

And to somehow manage to warm up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I thought I was one of the few people who had read that story. (Initially, I thought the "Dark Tower" was referring to the Stephen King books.)

I have that book, and yes, that story is freaky...

- Patrick